The Security Communication Access NetworkFounded in 1985, The Security Communication Access Network (SCAN) is a coalition of Hartford based security and property professionals [Hartford SCAN] who work in partnership with local authorities to enhance the safety and security of people and property throughout Hartford.
SCAN, a volunteer-driven organization sponsored by The Hartford Guides, Inc., provides the following program services to the community:
- An interactive network of over 150 security, public safety and emergency management professionals with links to state and federal homeland security agencies
- An email advisory program intended to alert the SCAN membership in a timely manner to the presence of criminal threats, unusually adverse weather conditions or other matters of significant security interest
- A dedicated communications linkage known as HARTSCAN, through the City of Hartford’s public safety communications system, between and among strategically positioned security organizations providing instantaneous access to Hartford Police, Fire and other first responder organizations
- Monthly meetings providing a forum for the exchange of information and ideas regarding current security and public safety issues of interest.
SCAN Organizational Structure
The current SCAN organization comprises some 135 individual members representing over 50 different organizations, corporate entities and governmental agencies. SCAN is essentially a volunteer committee that receives staff support from its parent organization, The Hartford Guides, Inc.
SCAN governance is accomplished through:
- An eleven member executive committee whose membership comprises experienced representatives of the security industry in Hartford; and
- A Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson popularly elected by the SCAN membership. The Chair (and in his/her absence the Vice-Chair) presides over periodic meetings of the SCAN membership.
- The executive committee and Chair/Vice-Chair are assisted by the Administrator, The Hartford Guides, Inc. The parent organization, The Hartford Guides, Inc., is an independent nonprofit organization recognized as tax exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. The organization is licensed by the State of Connecticut as an incorporated security service.